Visit www.turoklikefood.com for new recipes. This site has moved.
Poke (pronounced pokay) is a type of raw fish salad from Hawaii. It’s sort of comparable to ceviche of Latin America. I think it’s better, though!
Make sure the fish is sushi (or sashimi) quality. Just for your own sake. It’ll be worth the price you pay.
Adapted from Weber’s Way to Grill, page 210.
- 1 pound sashimi-grade ahi (yellowfin) tuna fillet, cut into bite-size cubes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2-inch piece ginger root, grated
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 serrano chili pepper, minced finely
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I used a mixture of black and white seeds)
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
This one’s really easy. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. To serve, spoon some of the poke salad into a 4 bowls, and top with sesame seeds.
Serves 4 as an appetizer.